About the Artist
Not formally trained in art, Leslie began to draw when she traveled as a way to see more clearly what was around her. She carried a notebook, pen and tiny paint kit instead of a camera, and when everyone else was clicking away, she whipped out her kit and painted—fast. The simplicity of her paint palette and the speed with which she painted has become her signature style.
Northwest Lower Michigan defines her. She considers herself part of the landscape among the bluestems and butterfly weed, beneath the cedars, willows, and maple trees. The wind of the woods and water speak her language and sing the songs of her childhood. How will a visitor know us if we don’t know who we are? How will we venture out in the world if we have nothing of ourselves to offer? If we treasure our origins, we take these gifts out to the world as we travel, and come home again, enriched twice over. Wherever we are, every day, we create the story and the adventure of our lives. Here are her favorite stories and drawings.
After a lifetime of writing and painting in the margins of work and family, now semi-retired, Leslie has made it a priority to share. Thirty years of travel journals and paintings have been dusted off, edited, and excerpted and will be appearing here on her website as books, fine art, folded note cards and postcards, and other gifts and products for sale.
- Sole and Sweetbreads at Guy Savoy2005 03 30 France, Paris, Guy Savoy, Sole, Sweetbreads
- Chiesa Di Santa Maria Assunta on Torcello2016 03 31 Italy, Isola Torcello, Chiesa Di Santa Maria Assunta
- Map of Places of Interest in Southeast Ireland2007 04 11 Ireland, Places of Interest, Southeast
- Close Harmony Duo at An Droichead Beag2010 11 11 Ireland, Dingle, Harmony at An Droichead Beag
- Water, Bread, Coffee2007 04 03 Ireland, Co. Clare, Water, Bread, Coffee
- Piazza de la Signoria1999 11 30 Italy, Florence, Piazza de la Signoria
- Villa on the Brenta River and Pollarded Trees2016 03 29 Italy, Venice, Brenta River Villa with Trees
- Lough Derravaragh2007 04 18 Ireland, Co. Westmeath, Lough Derravaragh
- Three Sisters of the Dingle Peninsula2010 11 02 Ireland, Dingle Peninsula, The Three Sisters
- Spring Lighthouse Side Yard2006 00 00 Michigan, Spring Lighthouse Side Yard
- Up Beinn Alligin2003 06 15 Scotland, Loch Torridon, Up Beinn Alligin
- A Giant Monterey Cypress on Colonsay2018 04 14 Scotland, Colonsay, Monterey Cypress
- View from My Doorway2000 07 04 Alaska, MV Seabird, View from My Doorway
- The Labby Stone2007 04 04 Ireland, Co. Sligo, The Labby Dolmen
- Sunflowers in a Blue Pitcher1999 07 00 Michigan, Sunflowers in a Blue Pitcher
- Sailboat at Anchor2011 10 05 Maine, Eastport, Sailboat at Anchor
- The Clava Cairns2014 09 30 Scotland, Culloden, Clava Cairns
- La Samanna Arch2001 03 31 St. Martin, La Samanna, La Samanna Arch