About the Artist
Not formally trained in art, Leslie began to draw when she traveled as a way to see more clearly what was around her. She carried a notebook, pen and tiny paint kit instead of a camera, and when everyone else was clicking away, she whipped out her kit and painted—fast. The simplicity of her paint palette and the speed with which she painted has become her signature style.
Northwest Lower Michigan defines her. She considers herself part of the landscape among the bluestems and butterfly weed, beneath the cedars, willows, and maple trees. The wind of the woods and water speak her language and sing the songs of her childhood. How will a visitor know us if we don’t know who we are? How will we venture out in the world if we have nothing of ourselves to offer? If we treasure our origins, we take these gifts out to the world as we travel, and come home again, enriched twice over. Wherever we are, every day, we create the story and the adventure of our lives. Here are her favorite stories and drawings.
After a lifetime of writing and painting in the margins of work and family, now semi-retired, Leslie has made it a priority to share. Thirty years of travel journals and paintings have been dusted off, edited, and excerpted and will be appearing here on her website as books, fine art, folded note cards and postcards, and other gifts and products for sale.
- Standing Stone in County Clare on Inish Orr Island2010 10 16 Ireland, Inish Orr Island, Standing Stone
- Water, Bread, Coffee2007 04 03 Ireland, Co. Clare, Water, Bread, Coffee
- Six Musicians at Gus O'Connor's Pub2010 10 16 Ireland, Co. Clare, Doolin, Six at O'Connor's, B&W
- Mandan-Hidatsa Site on Missouri River2015 09 26 N. Dakota, Mandan-Hidatsa Site on Missouri R.
- Four Boats from the Gritti Palace2016 03 30 Italy, Venice, Grand Canal, Gritti Palace, Boats
- Entrance to Newgrange2007 04 19 Ireland, Co. Meath, Newgrange, Entrance
- Field at Elk Lane2015 10 04 Colorado, Eagle, Vail, Field at Elk Lane
- Fruit and Pepper Grinder2018 03 25 Italy, Torcello, Fruit and Pepper Grinder
- Spring Lighthouse Side Yard2006 00 00 Michigan, Spring Lighthouse Side Yard
- Parknabinna #7 Wedge Tomb from the East2019 05 20 Ireland, Co. Clare, Parknabinna from East
- Old Mission at Chateau Grand Traverse2013 05 16 Michigan, Traverse City, Old Mission Vineyard
- Ceidhle at Glenmorangie House2014 09 26 Scotland, Glenmorangie House, Lass in Blue
- View from My Doorway2000 07 04 Alaska, MV Seabird, View from My Doorway
- The Old Cypress at the Post Ranch2014 12 00 California, Big Sur, Post Ranch, Cypress
- The Piper at Glenmorangie House, Scotland2014 09 27 Scotland, Tain, Glenmorangie House, The Piper with No Shoes
- Looking Across from Achill Island2010 11 30 Ireland, From Achill Island
- San Spirito1999 04 28 Italy, Florence, San Spirito
- Old Lone Pine on a Rocky Outcrop2000 03 28 Arizona, Tucson, Old Lone Pine