About the Artist
Not formally trained in art, Leslie began to draw when she traveled as a way to see more clearly what was around her. She carried a notebook, pen and tiny paint kit instead of a camera, and when everyone else was clicking away, she whipped out her kit and painted—fast. The simplicity of her paint palette and the speed with which she painted has become her signature style.
Northwest Lower Michigan defines her. She considers herself part of the landscape among the bluestems and butterfly weed, beneath the cedars, willows, and maple trees. The wind of the woods and water speak her language and sing the songs of her childhood. How will a visitor know us if we don’t know who we are? How will we venture out in the world if we have nothing of ourselves to offer? If we treasure our origins, we take these gifts out to the world as we travel, and come home again, enriched twice over. Wherever we are, every day, we create the story and the adventure of our lives. Here are her favorite stories and drawings.
After a lifetime of writing and painting in the margins of work and family, now semi-retired, Leslie has made it a priority to share. Thirty years of travel journals and paintings have been dusted off, edited, and excerpted and will be appearing here on her website as books, fine art, folded note cards and postcards, and other gifts and products for sale.
- Petroglyph Wall2015 03 29 Arizona, Canyon De Chelly, Petroglyph Wall
- Morning on the Bow2000 07 06 Alaska, Glacier Bay, MV Seabird, Morning on the Bow
- Up Beinn Alligin2003 06 15 Scotland, Loch Torridon, Up Beinn Alligin
- Villa on the Brenta River and Pollarded Trees2016 03 29 Italy, Venice, Brenta River Villa with Trees
- Wine and Knife at Guy Savoy2005 03 27 France, Paris, Guy Savoy, Glass of Wine, Knife
- Quails at the Bird Ramada2014 02 08 Arizona, Tucson, Miraval, Quails
- Templewood2014 09 25 Scotland, Argyle, Templewood
- Isle of Lismore2003 06 23 Scotland, Argyll, Isle of Lismore from Port Appin
- Three Geckos1996 03 24 Barbados, Three Geckos
- San Spirito1999 04 28 Italy, Florence, San Spirito
- Piazza de la Signoria1999 11 30 Italy, Florence, Piazza de la Signoria
- Rob MacLean on Guitar2011 09 29 Canada, Nova Scotia, Ingonish, MacLean
- Wine and Chocolate2005 03 30 France, Paris, Guy Savoy, Wine and Chocolate
- Sandy Ground2002 11 23 Anguilla, Sandy Ground, Johnnos Cove
- Lunch at Harry’s Bar2016 03 24 Italy, Venice, Lunch at Harry’s Bar
- View North from Schull Cottages2019 04 18 Ireland, Schull, View North from the Cottage
- Old Lone Pine on a Rocky Outcrop2000 03 28 Arizona, Tucson, Old Lone Pine
- Carrowmore's Oldest Dolmen2007 04 05 Ireland, Co. Sligo, Carrowmore's Oldest