About the Artist
Not formally trained in art, Leslie began to draw when she traveled as a way to see more clearly what was around her. She carried a notebook, pen and tiny paint kit instead of a camera, and when everyone else was clicking away, she whipped out her kit and painted—fast. The simplicity of her paint palette and the speed with which she painted has become her signature style.
Northwest Lower Michigan defines her. She considers herself part of the landscape among the bluestems and butterfly weed, beneath the cedars, willows, and maple trees. The wind of the woods and water speak her language and sing the songs of her childhood. How will a visitor know us if we don’t know who we are? How will we venture out in the world if we have nothing of ourselves to offer? If we treasure our origins, we take these gifts out to the world as we travel, and come home again, enriched twice over. Wherever we are, every day, we create the story and the adventure of our lives. Here are her favorite stories and drawings.
After a lifetime of writing and painting in the margins of work and family, now semi-retired, Leslie has made it a priority to share. Thirty years of travel journals and paintings have been dusted off, edited, and excerpted and will be appearing here on her website as books, fine art, folded note cards and postcards, and other gifts and products for sale.
- The Ring of Brodgar on Orkney2014 09 28 Scotland, Orkney, Ring of Brodgar
- Isle of Lismore2003 06 23 Scotland, Argyll, Isle of Lismore from Port Appin
- Portrait of Ted McCormack, Ugly as Sin, So He Says2010 09 27 Ireland, Co. Clare, Doolin, McGann's, McCormac
- Drom Beg Stone Circle2019 04 24 Ireland, Co. Cork, Drom Beg Stone Circle
- Fog on Cliffs, Chichagoff Island2000 07 07 Alaska, Off Chichagoff Island, Fog on Cliffs
- White, Duignam and Brown at An Droichead Beag2010 11 11 Ireland, Dingle, Musicians at An Droichead Beag
- Old Lone Pine on a Rocky Outcrop2000 03 28 Arizona, Tucson, Old Lone Pine
- Ancient Territories, Population Groups, and DNA2019 00 00 Ireland, Territories, Population, DNA Map
- Chaco Culture Rock Art2004 11 22 New Mexico, Chaco Culture, Panel II Rock Art
- Rio Grande Gorge, Near Taos2006 03 25 New Mexico, Rio Grande Gorge, Near Taos
- Lough Derravaragh2007 04 18 Ireland, Co. Westmeath, Lough Derravaragh
- Looking to the Iveraugh Peninsula from Dingle2010 11 02 Ireland, Dingle, Looking to the Iveraugh Peninsula
- Dunmore Head2010 11 16 Ireland, Co. Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, Dunmore Head
- On the Ferry to Tobermory2016 10 03 Ontario, Canada, Georgian Bay Ferry to Tobermory
- Out the Hotel Window1999 11 20 Italy, Sicily, Agrigento, Out the Hotel Window
- The Bargello1999 11 28 Italy, Florence, The Bargello
- Spring Lighthouse in Blue2020 02 20 Michigan, Elk Rapids, Spring Lighthouse Blue
- Mandan-Hidatsa Site on Missouri River2015 09 26 N. Dakota, Mandan-Hidatsa Site on Missouri R.